Marine Animal #1: The Pacific Blackdragon
For my New Year resolution, I pledged to involve myself more in one of the coolest subjects around -- marine biology. So every week of 2016, or as often as I can, I will be researching a sea creature and telling you guys all about it!
Frolicking about the sunless twilight zone, Idiacanthus antrostomus is a scary sight. The barbeled dragonfish lives in the eastern Pacific, California to Chile, 200-1,000 meters deep.
It ambushes small crustaceans with sharp teeth and an entirely black body. Dark stomach tissue blocks out bioluminescence from organisms it may feast upon. Groovy light cells called "photophores" line their bumpy organs to attract mates. A "barbel" hangs from their chins (or what looks like their chins).
Oh wait, I forgot to mention -- most of this applies exclusively to female Blackdragons. Males cannot feed, are much smaller, and lack teeth. In fact, they only live long enough to reproduce. Take that, men's rights activists.
Oh wait, I forgot to mention -- most of this applies exclusively to female Blackdragons. Males cannot feed, are much smaller, and lack teeth. In fact, they only live long enough to reproduce. Take that, men's rights activists.
Conservation efforts are low. It's been stated that humans have little to no direct effect on these spiny monsters. They've never been available in the food market, either. That being said, diminishing populations of select dinner choices could decrease this naturally rare species.


Comments